If you have been getting a similar error to the ‘Unable to Purchase – (Application Name) and (number) other items could not be purchased at this time. Please try again later’ then you will know how annoying it is. Your error will vary, the app will change and the number of ‘other’ apps will be different, but your annoyance level will probably be about the same.
I have a fix for you that requires a little bit of work but it’s fairly easy to accomplish and doesn’t require a jailbreak. Just follow these steps…
1. Download iExplorer (formerly iPhone Explorer) on your Mac or PC for Free via http://www.macroplant.com/iexplorer
2. Install and open iExplorer before you plug in your iPhone or iPad
3. Plug in your iDevice and run iExplorer
4. On the left expand Media and Downloads
5. Scroll way down inside the Downloads folder to the only file ending in ‘sqlitedb’
6. Rename that file to ‘sqllitedb.old’
7. Close iExplorer and unplug your iDevice
8. Close and reopen the app store and the problem should be solved (you need to hard close by double clicking the home button and holding the app store in the multitask menu then hitting the X)
This causes the database to be re-created without the stuck entries that are causing the problem.
We hold no responsibility if this causes any harm to your device but if you follow these instructions you should have no issues.
Update 1: Or you can use DiskAid or other iPhone file system viewer.
Update 2: As Dave M points out in the comments, instead of renaming the file you can delete it to recover the space. Please use this option with caution, if you accidentally delete the wrong file it could cause serious damage to your phone.